PDA

View Full Version : Whats the service life of the 3.8l in an 1987 GN

knutegs
07-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I just got a `87 GN with 125,000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should get the engine rebuilt(or when a good time is). I figure I will at least flush all the fluids and put in fresh fluid. Even in the trans, so that I know what time everything was changed and so that I know what was put in. Also was wondering how to get the hood open if the cable that attaches to the latch is unhooked? The cable is moving freely under the hood, any suggestions?

LARRY70GS
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
I would do a compression check, and a leak down test if possible. If oil pressure and engine vacuum look good, I wouldn't rebuild it. If the engine was taken care of, it should be fine. The transmission will give out before the engine I think.

As far as the hood goes, you may need to see if you can get to the latch from underneath the front of the car.

PhillyTurboSix
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I just got a `87 GN with 125,000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should get the engine rebuilt(or when a good time is). I figure I will at least flush all the fluids and put in fresh fluid. Even in the trans, so that I know what time everything was changed and so that I know what was put in. Also was wondering how to get the hood open if the cable that attaches to the latch is unhooked? The cable is moving freely under the hood, any suggestions?

First thing I would do is get the oil sampled. If you didn't change the oil yet, order a kit from http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and send out a sample of your oil to them. It's like going to the doctor and having blood work done. The results will speak for their self. This is the best way to look inside an engine without opening it up. The kits are free and you just send in your payment with the sample. I take a sample on all my cars every time I change the oil. They will even add notes if they see an issue with anything. If you did recently change the oil, put some miles on it before you send it in. For the hood latch you might be able to pull on it with pliers to open the hood if the cable is there. I would contact Brian at www.gbodyparts.com and you should be able to order a new cable from him. He may even have the entire set up used just as cheap.

231na300hp
08-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Turbo motors run hotter, But my 3.8L has over 300k, and was run hot ove 900 miles give or take. About 3 or 4 200 mile trips before I got the kinks worked out of it, Is still goin strong no gaskets with factory gaskets still in place, rear seal does leak, no valve tap and or ticking, in fact the only thing in my engine that I've touched has been the thermostat, oil pump rebuild and timing chain change. All else is 300k miles including rings and stem seals, no smoking or oil buring, I still stand on it and shift around 4k on my tack, when i had the headers I broke two 120 mile speedo's, I think you should still have plenty left in her.

Hellobozos
09-17-2012, 06:52 PM
All depends on your right foot alot..My 86' GN went 113,000 Hard!!! Miles,2 years on NOS,stack time slips 2 feet tall,couple 160mph redlining O.D. run's,Multiple HWY runs around Florida,all under dealer Warranty still,(bought the car new with Unlimited mileage 10 year warranty),with All Factory Parts,Ran mid 12's no NOS all day.11.90 at 119 on NOS. Thermostat,Chip,exhaust,an Airfilter only changed parts

This is Very Important!! an how i lost rod bearing...(at 113,000 miles)

Do Not Get into Boost until your Car's Oil's up to Temp......After little driving around your Good To Go!
Not straight out your garage from over night stay...

or it'll happen to you to..the older the motor the more temperamental it can be.

Last Use good fluids an change regularly, You should be on the road Awhile...When or if you rebuild the motors change the weak links out,( Push button rocker's,plastic timing chain,flat tappet cam)

231na300hp
09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
yeah hb,

350k now on mine, choke is sticking a little and have to press gas peddle 2 or 3 times spin it once in between and she starts up and goes - getting tempermental. Will be doin the rebuild on mine soon. Goin to ta rockers, comp cam 252, buick 350 pistons whole nine yards low buck rebuild basically but I'm looking around 320hp with home port an polish heads so I won't complain, eventually I might put a 371 detroit blower on it, bring it up around 415 or so.