PDA

View Full Version : through the frame trans lines

GS4551970
10-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Where can i get a set of the through the frame trans lines?Or what are you guys doing to keep the trans lines away from the headers?

Smartin
10-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Jim Weise sells a kit for the A bodies. It's pretty sleek.

NJBuickRacer
10-28-2006, 11:39 PM
I ran AN lines from the trans, on the top of the frame down the rail to the front.

GS4551970
10-29-2006, 12:06 AM
I dont understand any of this AN stuff. I have a catolog that has the hose and fittings in it and i could make 2 sets for what i could buy a set for but i have no idea what size fittings to get.

65specialconver
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
i got jw's kit from a board member unused so i dont know jims price.i figured about $80 from summit for the same set-up using the blue twist-tite hose & stainless fittings.its about the only thing i didnt have leak when i fired it up:ROLL::GT: now,if i could figure out the same thing for brake lines......
i asked about the an fittings a week ago,heres a link to that http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=113423&highlight=fittings

70 Skylark Conv
10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Has anyone heard about any problems about these lines "bloating" after time since they aren't hard lines?

Was wondering if someone was just feeding me a line of bull since I was thinking about using these lines to reroute my tranny lines.

71stage1conv
10-30-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't think that will be a problem, though I have not installed them. I sold the set I had because I sold my shorty headers to Jamers. The material is very thick and ribbed, and the only way I could see them fail (short of actually touching a header) is if you ran over something that could cut the hose.

70 gsconvt
10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
I've had this kit on my car for two years with no problems. I have a 11x11x1.5" trans cooler and don't even use the one in the radiator any more.

Smartin
10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I've had mine for over 3 years, and it's still perfect. The stuff is hydraulic line...it's not going to bloat, especially at the pressures you're seeing with the transmission fluid.

70 Skylark Conv
10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I've had mine for over 3 years, and it's still perfect. The stuff is hydraulic line...it's not going to bloat, especially at the pressures you're seeing with the transmission fluid.

Everyone tries to scare me because I'm a girl. :DOU:

Here's what someone said, and I wish I could remember who it was....."It might bloat inside the frame or it might rub through on something sharp inside the frame, etc." :RE:

I thought it was probably a line of BS they were giving me. :SPANK:

I even told them it was hydraulic line. :RANT:

GKsGS400
10-30-2006, 07:27 PM
My jet hotted headers are actually 100 degrees cooler than the stock manifolds so I just left the lines where they were. I have about 2 inches of clearance. If the trans burns up then I'll know I screwed up. :T:

70 gsconvt
10-30-2006, 07:53 PM
To keep it from rubbing on the frame holes, just slit a piece of 1/4" rubber hose and press it on all around. No chance of rubbing or abrading it then.

GS4551970
10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the info on the subject.Now if i can get it figured out i'll be ok.
If i didnt need 2 sets id probably just buy them from JW . But if i can get this all figured out i can make 2 sets for the price of 1.

NJBuickRacer
10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
I dont understand any of this AN stuff. I have a catolog that has the hose and fittings in it and i could make 2 sets for what i could buy a set for but i have no idea what size fittings to get.

I used -6 hose, trans cooler already had fittings for -6 line. I used NPT to AN adapters at the trans. I'll try and find the p/ns for what I used.

TXGS
10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I just routed my trans lines away from the headers. It may be easier with a buick 350. I was told by my transmission guy not to run it in the frame. I took his advice because he is knowledgeable and has 40+ years in the trans buisness and he is family. He did mention over time with the heating and cooling of the lines that it may weaken the rubber style hose and allowing an abrashion to happen inside the frame at a later time. . This is from his experiences.

Although I agree with a lot of what my transmission guy says. I do have a rebutle and that is that most of our not driven on a daily basis and do not go thru the normal heating and cooling cycles like a standard commuter car.

Thought I would share my thoughts.:TU:

70 Skylark Conv
10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I just routed my trans lines away from the headers. It may be easier with a buick 350. I was told by my transmission guy not to run it in the frame. I took his advice because he is knowledgeable and has 40+ years in the trans buisness and he is family. He did mention over time with the heating and cooling of the lines that it may weaken the rubber style hose and allowing an abrashion to happen inside the frame at a later time. . This is from his experiences.

Although I agree with a lot of what my transmission guy says. I do have a rebutle and that is that most of our not driven on a daily basis and do not go thru the normal heating and cooling cycles like a standard commuter car.

Thought I would share my thoughts.:TU:

Oooops, I better apologize now for my blondness (or another foot-in-mouth or OS moment) for me. :PUZ: You know what I'm talking about. :DOU: I'm soooo sorry.... Dang I'm stupid!!!! I'm going to go hide now. :CRAP: :CRAP: :CRAP: :CRAP:

TXGS
10-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Dee, The way I look at it is... It does not cause anyone pain or cause them injury to talk about these applications. As they say there is always another way to skin a cat.... In my eyes both ways are correct.... It is just a matter of deciding what is best for you....

Kinda like glass fuel filters... If you know my meaning.:BEERS:

70 Skylark Conv
10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Dee, The way I look at it is... It does not cause anyone pain or cause them injury to talk about these applications. As they say there is always another way to skin a cat.... In my eyes both ways are correct.... It is just a matter of deciding what is best for you....

Kinda like glass fuel filters... If you know my meaning.:BEERS:

Oh no, you didn't read what I posted. :CRAP: I said something like someone giving me a line of BS, but I didn't think it was you, but it might have been, but I don't think it was, but just in case, and I said that, and now I feel like an idiot, etc., etc., etc. and I'm stupid, and have both feet in my mouth, my head in my a$$, etc., etc., etc. :CRAP: :CRAP: :CRAP: It probably wasn't you that said it, but just in case it was, I feel like a complete and total idiot. :GT: :GT: :GT: Back to my cave where I belong....:CRAP: :CRAP: :CRAP:

I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread either...:DOU:

TXGS
10-31-2006, 12:47 PM
It was me lol :LAUGH: I told you to get the trans lines off the headers....:LAUGH:

I forgive you..... I think. :LAUGH:

70 Skylark Conv
10-31-2006, 12:53 PM
It was me lol :LAUGH: I told you to get the trans lines off the headers....:LAUGH:

I forgive you..... I think. :LAUGH:

Frank invited me to the Austin picnic in December. Can I come? :WINK:

TXGS
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Frank invited me to the Austin picnic in December. Can I come?

Of Course... Any of the Dallas or houston guys are invited....

It kinda turns into a talk relax session. kinda like the hotel parking lot at rusk...:LAUGH:

Mister T
10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Oh no, you didn't read what I posted. :CRAP: I said something like someone giving me a line of BS, but I didn't think it was you, but it might have been, but I don't think it was, but just in case, and I said that, and now I feel like an idiot, etc., etc., etc. and I'm stupid, and have both feet in my mouth, my head in my a$$, etc., etc., etc. :CRAP: :CRAP: :CRAP: It probably wasn't you that said it, but just in case it was, I feel like a complete and total idiot. :GT: :GT: :GT: Back to my cave where I belong....:CRAP: :CRAP: :CRAP:

I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread either...:DOU:
Dee, that is just too hilarious. :LAUGH: :LAUGH: Thanks for livening up my day.:TU: :HI:

And no way do you belong in any cave either, unless it's next to my cave.:WINK:

70 Skylark Conv
10-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Dee, that is just too hilarious. :LAUGH: :LAUGH: Thanks for livening up my day.:TU: :HI:

And no way do you belong in any cave either, unless it's next to my cave.:WINK:

Everyone, especially Phil, knows I'm just a big foot-eatin' dork! :CRAP:

Just glad to make someone laugh with my unintentional rudeness and foot-eatin'! :LAUGH:

GS4551970
10-31-2006, 07:58 PM
I used -6 hose, trans cooler already had fittings for -6 line. I used NPT to AN adapters at the trans. I'll try and find the p/ns for what I used.
Thanks ,any help would be great..