PDA

View Full Version : A "Hello to All" & Detailing Questions Welcome

JaxWax
03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Hello All - Scott from Jax Wax here.

Wanted to introduce myself :HI: and to let you know that if you have any specific detailing challenges or questions - I am here to help - not neccesarily just pimp our products.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Brad Conley
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi Scott and welcome aboard! Scott's company, Jax Wax, is a new sponsor this year for our 4th annual BPG Nationals, so please support Scott and Jax Wax!

Scott, several members on this board have just had cars professionally restored to a very high standard and I'm sure they will have questions for you, but I have one to get the dialog going.

What is the best way to remove road dust and dust from just sitting, from a concours level paint job? Details (pardon the pun) would be good...what product to apply, what product to avoid, method of application and removal, etc.

BignastyGS
03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I am here to help - not neccesarily just pimp our products.

Thats why we have a Mooney...:LAUGH: :LAUGH:

Welcome aboard... Its nice to see some vendors who join that seem to care more for more than just a sale.Even though I don't have any vehicles that could use your products(unless it works on primer:LAUGH: )Its interesting to see what the pros use on their rides. I will someday have a car painted to wax I hope..

69GS400s
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Welcome Scott and JaxWax

THANK YOU for your involvement with our Club :BEERS: :TU: :BEERS:

Carl Rychlik
03-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Looking forward to meeting you too,Scott.

Welcome to the board.:TU:

71stage1conv
03-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I assume we will be able to buy your products at the BPG in August, or are you going to show products only & do some demo's? If I have a finished car by then, I'll let you wax it.:SMART: :LAUGH: :ROLL:

racerxjj67
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I have a question.

I have American Racing brushed aluminum Torque thrust II wheels on my car currently and my father had sprayed whitewall cleaner on them (he's not very good at cleaning cars) and they now have spots. What can I do, if anything, to get rid of the spots?

I have tried Mothers aluminum wheel polish but it all it does is polish up the spots.

tufbuick
03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Thats why we have a Mooney...:LAUGH: :LAUGH:

Don't mind "BIG VITO" aka Pat Harmon...he's just jealous because my GranSport is more "FLY" than his !!!

WELCOME !!!

jamyers
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Don't mind "BIG VITO" aka Pat Harmon...he's just jealous because my GranSport is more "FLY" than his !!!

WELCOME !!!

ooooo, my eyes! my eyes! :GT:

(isn't that a Mustang?)

ricknmel67
03-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Welcome Scott and JaxWax

THANK YOU for your involvement with our Club :BEERS: :TU: :BEERS:

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Welcome to the board Scott :TU:

opeltwinturbo
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I assume we will be able to buy your products at the BPG in August, or are you going to show products only & do some demo's? If I have a finished car by then, I'll let you wax it.:SMART: :LAUGH: :ROLL:

You better get in line. :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

JaxWax
03-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Scott and welcome aboard! Scott's company, Jax Wax, is a new sponsor this year for our 4th annual BPG Nationals, so please support Scott and Jax Wax!

Scott, several members on this board have just had cars professionally restored to a very high standard and I'm sure they will have questions for you, but I have one to get the dialog going.

What is the best way to remove road dust and dust from just sitting, from a concours level paint job? Details (pardon the pun) would be good...what product to apply, what product to avoid, method of application and removal, etc.

Well - what a warm hearty welcome - I can tell that this is going to be fun! :YA:

Good question, Brad..... We get this question all the time.

The first thing that anyone should use for wiping is MICROFIBER towels. The simple reason is that they are ultra absorbent and WILL NOT SCRATCH. Time and time again we see people using terry cloth towels or diapers, california dusters, etc... :DOU: These WILL scratch your surface, which is more apparent on darker colored finishes..... I can go on and on about Microfiber - but that is another thread.

Now - let's talk about dust. If there is minimal dust, such as road dust, use a quick detailer - it will lubricate the surface, help with picking up all the dust and some of them - like our Body Shine(shameless plug) have carnuaba in them and won't smear - so when you are using them you are actually extending the protection of your existing wax on the surface. As well, you can use it on all painted surfaces, chrome, glass - what have you.

If there is a "winters" worth of dust - say your ride has been sitting in the garage without a cover all winter - you are beyond the mist and wipe stage. Microfibers are good - but can only hold so much dust and grime.

If that's the case, rinse the car off, or wash it - whatever it warrants.

Now - the important part - use Microfiber to dry the surface. Why? Because they won't scratch, and they will hold 7 times their weight in liquids! A chamois will scratch (they get dirty and most people don't wash them out enough), California Water blades also will scratch as well if you get any particles caught in between the blade and the surface.

I usually use 2 16 X 16" microfiber towels to dry - one that I wring out as I go along and follow along with the drier one. They also have some bigger "waffle weaves" that are thicker and bigger for drying available. The reason I use the 16" variety is it is easier for me. For example, when you get down near the ground, I can control a 16" towel better than a 3 foot big towel - you don't want the towel to be touching the ground picking up contaminents that can scratch your surface.

Again - I can go on and on about Microfiber, why they work and how they are made - but probably should be reserved for another thread.

This is the method that we have found to give you the best results and best of all - it's the easiest! :LAUGH:

JaxWax
03-08-2007, 10:40 AM

We will have products for sale at the BPG!!!

As well, we are ALWAYS looking for cars to demo on in our booth!

The main reason for that is - you know what your finish looks like and your specific challenges.....instead of us bringing a car, that people can walk by and say "Yeah that has 100's of coats of wax on it - this demo is rigged" we like to use cars that we have never seen before so the demo is real.

By the way, we don't polish your rings, pop cans, or light hoods on fire - that's all gimmickery.

So bring the Buicks on! Let's show you how to "Pimp Your Ride".

69GS400s
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
....By the way, we don't polish your rings, pop cans, or light hoods on fire - that's all gimmickery.

Darn ... and I was just going to ask of you want my car for display but if your not planning to light it on fire I'll pass :ROLL: :BEERS:

MicroFiber - what specific brand do you recommend ... and what material construction.

I had been using the yellow ones from Costco that come in a big pak but someone alot more knowledgeable than me recently said they were not cotton and therefor a no-no

opeltwinturbo
03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Scott:

As you are aware, the BPG publishes a newsletter "The Buildhseet" which is distributed 5-6 times a year to its members. We are always looking for articles. This will be a great opportunity for you to share stories about your products and the benefits to our members. However, th articles need to be slanted to the informative side rather than product advertisement. Look forward to working with you.

Brad Conley
03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
John,

I have invited Scott to do just that, write a series of articles for the Buildsheet on detailing, in my prior conversations with him. I believe all of us will learn a thing or two on the proper way to clean and detail a car, me included.:WOW:

Brad Conley
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I had been using the yellow ones from Costco that come in a big pak but someone alot more knowledgeable than me recently said they were not cotton and therefor a no-no

And that would have been me :HI: . Alan, I have been doing a lot of research on micro-fibers and have learned that they do NOT have to be 100% cotton to not scratch. I'm sure Scott will chime in here and educate all of us on the benefits of using micro-fibers and the type to buy.

JaxWax
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Scott:

As you are aware, the BPG publishes a newsletter "The Buildhseet" which is distributed 5-6 times a year to its members. We are always looking for articles. This will be a great opportunity for you to share stories about your products and the benefits to our members. However, th articles need to be slanted to the informative side rather than product advertisement. Look forward to working with you.

Thanks! I plan on writing some articles for "The Buildhseet" and right on - keep it informative.

That's how we roll and demo our products - more of a consultative nature than hard selling our products.....sometimes we even reccomend other products when it is the right tool for the job. :ROLL:

And - we don't always have all the answers - we are all always learning from each other and our customers all of the time.

Look forward to it!

JaxWax
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
tufbuick -

That is one of the nicest interiors that I have seen - and I have seen a few of them.:TU:

Nice job - I am impressed.

69GS400s
03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
tufbuick -

That is one of the nicest interiors that I have seen - and I have seen a few of them.:TU:

Nice job - I am impressed.

....If you saw the interior of the Hooptie he's prolly driviing around in RIGHT NOW
you'd want to seal your eyes shut with wax :ROLL: :PANTS: :HI:

the Alan, I have been doing a lot of research on micro-fibers and have learned that they do NOT have to be 100% cotton to not scratch. In Fact, I actually saw Ron bringing some of your Yellow ones into the PortaPotty at Salem

Before or After he put the HotDawg on my Antenna ??

:PUZ: :LAUGH:

racerxjj67
03-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a question.

I have American Racing brushed aluminum Torque thrust II wheels on my car currently and my father had sprayed whitewall cleaner on them (he's not very good at cleaning cars) and they now have spots. What can I do, if anything, to get rid of the spots?

I have tried Mothers aluminum wheel polish but it all it does is polish up the spots.

Apparently my question wasn't interesting enough. On to the McQuires site.

Marco
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Apparently my question wasn't interesting enough. On to the McQuires site.

Not so - it was so interesting, it deserved it's own thread :HI:

http://www.bpgforums.com/showthread.php?t=4819

Welcome to the BPG Scott.

If you're looking for a car to 'demonstrate on' at the BPG nats, you can "Pimp My Ride". :T:
Seriously, thanks for being a sponsor and looking forward to meeting you.

racerxjj67
03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
My new posts search didn't show that thread.:DOU: I take it back, my bad. Never mind:BROW:

ibmoses
03-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Welcome aboard Scott, please elaborate on your recommendations to remove a light dusting from a car that has been garaged with a cover. My car is not a concours resto but I would like to avoid scratching the paint and do not want to wash the car.

I have been using the yellow 3M microfiber towels to wipe the dust off and then wiping the car down with Meguairs Final Inspection #34 detailer and a plush terry cloth towel.
After using the circular "wax on" "wax off" motions my whole like it is difficult to apply/remove cleaner/wax or to wipe the dust in straight motions but I understand that the circular wiping will tend to scratch the paint?

You other folks please chime in as well.
Thanks for any tips or info.
I learned a lot from Henry's recent thread about detailing.
http://www.bpgforums.com/showthread.php?t=3638

Bert

JaxWax
03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Welcome aboard Scott, please elaborate on your recommendations to remove a light dusting from a car that has been garaged with a cover. My car is not a concours resto but I would like to avoid scratching the paint and do not want to wash the car.

I have been using the yellow 3M microfiber towels to wipe the dust off and then wiping the car down with Meguairs Final Inspection #34 detailer and a plush terry cloth towel.
After using the circular "wax on" "wax off" motions my whole like it is difficult to apply/remove cleaner/wax or to wipe the dust in straight motions but I understand that the circular wiping will tend to scratch the paint?

You other folks please chime in as well.
Thanks for any tips or info.
I learned a lot from Henry's recent thread about detailing.
http://www.bpgforums.com/showthread.php?t=3638

Bert

Bert - Thanks for the Welcome!

If the dust is very light, for example, parked at a show, etc...can't imagine that with a cover on it could be too bad.....

This is what I would do - sprtiz a little quick detailer and wipe gently with a Microfiber, turning the towel over and over...

I use our Body Shine (for obvious reasons) and because you don't need a lot, and it won't streak or smear. Also use it on the entire vehicle surface - glass, paint, chrome, and trim. It also has a little carnauba in it, so that when you use it you are extending the protection of any existing wax on your ride.

Our natural tendency is to treat anything that we wipe with like sandpaper - it is not necessary - let the towel do the work. If you press hard enough with anything it will scratch. Just wipe lightly!

The reason I suggest to spritz it first is to provide some lubrication for the surface, and the towel will do a better job!

Hope this helps :ROLL:

JaxWax
03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Not so - it was so interesting, it deserved it's own thread :HI:

http://www.bpgforums.com/showthread.php?t=4819

Welcome to the BPG Scott.

If you're looking for a car to 'demonstrate on' at the BPG nats, you can "Pimp My Ride". :T:
Seriously, thanks for being a sponsor and looking forward to meeting you.

Thanks Marco!

We'd be happy to "pimp your ride" :YA: - is that your car in the photo? Just stop by and say hello!!!!! Looking forward to meeting you as well....

:TU: