PDA

View Full Version : Spots on brushed aluminum Torque thrust II wheels

JaxWax
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I have a question.

I have American Racing brushed aluminum Torque thrust II wheels on my car currently and my father had sprayed whitewall cleaner on them (he's not very good at cleaning cars) and they now have spots. What can I do, if anything, to get rid of the spots?

I have tried Mothers aluminum wheel polish but it all it does is polish up the spots.

Great question!

This is how we have done this in the past - which should give you a great finish and be pretty easy to do. :T:

Just 2 steps....

Step 1

Get ahold of some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Wet the surface and LIGHTLY sand the surface until the spots are gone.

Step 2

Now - here is what will make it really easy. Mother's has a powerball that is the whip. It will make the job of polishing really really easy. They also have a mini powerball as well - depends on the size of the nooks and crannies that you are polishing as to which one you want. It is worth every penny.

We don't make a metal polish - companies that make metal polishes ususally stay within that niche. The best one that we have found is from California Custom and is called Purple Metal Polish.

I have demoed Purple Metal Polish against Mothers and others time after time and it is the whip. :TU:

Use the polish with the powerball and your wheels will look better or as good as new.

Hope this helps! Let us all know how this works for you!

- Scott

racerxjj67
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Excellent!:TU: Never thought of using 2000 grit paper:YA: Now, I'm excited again.

pwm72
03-10-2007, 10:16 AM
What about the same issue with forged aluminum wheels? I don't think I want to take sandpaper to them. :WOW:

JaxWax
03-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Paul - Not sure - there is no coating on them, is there?

What kind of wheels are they?

Scott

pwm72
03-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Paul - Not sure - there is no coating on them, is there?

What kind of wheels are they?

Scott

No coating that I am aware of Scott. They are forged Cragars (Manufactured by Weld)

racerxjj67
03-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Aren't those Crager's chromed? I haven't seen aluminum Crager's that look like that.

JaxWax
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Paul -

They look like chrome to me as well. If in fact they are, no, we don't want to do the sandpaper trick on them.

Can you take a close up of the actual pitting on them? I will have to check with some of my resources on what's the best way to get after your pitts/spots.

My first inclination here is we have to go after it with a buffer/polish - but again, not sure :CRAP: Some of my contacts specialize in metal polishing - in fact, my Canadian Distributor will be here at the shop on Sunday early evening - I am going to run this by him....he is "the man" when it comes to polishing metal. He practices his craft on Big Rig show trucks and they are all about spit and polish.

Will let you know what he suggests.....hope this helps!

Scott

pwm72
03-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Aren't those Crager's chromed? I haven't seen aluminum Crager's that look like that.

Nope not chromed at all...just polished forged aluminum. I will take better pictures tomorrow and post the spots I am speaking of.

pwm72
03-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Here are other (perhaps) better pics of the wheels to show that they are in fact forged aluminum, not chrome. Pardon the dirty wheels...I just took them off a few days ago and have not started to clean them yet. I will take some pics in the daylight to show the problem areas (hopefully) tomorrow.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/pwm72/Cragar1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/pwm72/Cragar2.jpg

JaxWax
03-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Paul -

They are highly polished! I will be seeing Stephane - (Mr Metal Polish) on Sunday night - will consult with him to get some ideas.........

Scott

pwm72
03-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Scott. Hopefully I am not too late with the pictures. All I have ever used on the wheels has been Mothers Mag Polish. On the one wheel, there appears to be some staining on the "bead" area of the rim (pic titled Spots 1). On the other wheel, there are spots that look like brake dust, however they will not polish out (Pic titled Spots 2). They are on the "meaty" part of the rim. The pictures were hard to take to show the issues, but this is the best I could do.

Spots 1
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/pwm72/Spots1.jpg

Spots 2
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/pwm72/Spots2.jpg

Also, what is your opinion on products such as Zoops Seal?
Thanks
Paul

JaxWax
03-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Paul -

Stephane - Mr Metal Polish from Canada - and I are just looking at the pics - good job, the pics show what you are talking about.

It appears that your rims are "forged alloy" - super strong and lightweight for performance.

I am not a big fan of Mothers Mag polish, but here's what I can suggest.

If in fact it is chrome plated - get some Phantom or Speedy or Purple Metal Polish or something a little more industrial strength than the retail Mothers Mag Polish and some #0000 Steel Wool - from Bulldog.

You can see what Phantom and Speedy look like here: http://gotwax.ca/liquid.html

Stephane says that the Zephyr pictured is too aggressive for chrome.

Try the polish and Steel Wool - LIGHTLY - in an inconspicuous area to see if the spots improve.

For example, this steel wool is so fine, they even clean glass with it. You can read the package first.

Stephane says you can get it at Canadian Tire! :DOU:

I am sure that someone in the states has it - a little Canadian Humor!!!!!!!:RE:

It appears even though the wheels are "Forged alloy" that they are chrome plated........ How old are the rims? It might be in the plating itself?

I hope this helps! - Let us know if it works.....

JaxWax
03-19-2007, 07:46 AM
To give you an idea of what "Aluminum" looks like before and after polishing - here is an example of of what Stephane does here - look at that bottom pics before and after. (At the very bottom of the page)

This is a fuel tank from a 2005 Kenworth.

http://gotwax.ca/gallery.html

Now again, this tank is pure aluminum, not an alloy......

And that "after" picture is Stephane's reflection in the tank.

It took him 4 and 1/2 hours to get that finish.

- Scott

pwm72
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Scott, I gotta say the work on that tank looks amazing. No doubt a lot of hard work.

I never thought for a minute that these rims were chrome plated, just highly polished aluminum, but I will defer to the experts. I will give the products that you recommend a try. (even the 0000 Steel Wool) I assume there are differences in brands of steel wool? I will search around for Bulldog as you recommend. I wish we had Canadian Tire around here...you can get anything there can't you??

Actually my Mother is Canadian (New Brunswick) and I have a ton of family still up there. Are you in Canada? I didn't notice a location in your posts.

Thanks agin for your time and advice...it really is appreciated.

JaxWax
03-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I did a little :CRAP: research on forged alloy - quite a bit of info......

without seeing them and trying things it's a bear.

Stephane seems to think they are chrome plated, and given how old the wheels are, this might be the best approach? :SMART: (right)

Bulldog seems to be pretty prevalent amongst the fine furniture group - but I gotta think that we have that in the states.....:CRAP:

Not having done this myself, and my trust in Stephane - might be a good choice - he is da man - but be careful and go lightly when you do this.....

I want to know how this works if you attempt it......sounds low risk for sure.

if 0000# steel wool will clean glass, then it can't screw up the crome too bad,eh?

Be sure to keep us informed - just hate to steer you wrong being so new to this forum!!!!!

We do have full faith in Stephane - he is our metal polishing god! - give it a shot on an inconspicuos place....if there is one.

- Scott

JaxWax
03-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Sorry not to reply to your question about location - we are in Columbus, OH

And again, for "experts" - Stephane has forgot more about metal polishing than I will ever learn - that tank took him 4 + hours :DOU:

Again, let us all know if that helped or not - we learn from each other and our customers every day!!!!

- Scott

pwm72
03-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks again Scott. I forgot to answer your question on how old the wheels are. They are only about two years old now. I bought them new.

JaxWax
03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Geesh - Spots after two years?:DOU:

Be sure to let us know how our suggestion works - try in an inconspicuous area first!

- Scott

12lives
03-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey Paul - nice wheels - I thought the S/S wheels were all unilug? Are those the "series 5" S/S wheels? Do you have a part number? Where did you find them?

- Bill

pwm72
03-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey Paul - nice wheels - I thought the S/S wheels were all unilug? Are those the "series 5" S/S wheels? Do you have a part number? Where did you find them?

- Bill

Thanks Bill. These are "new style" Cragars. They are actually forged wheels manufactured by Weld for Cragar. I think you are right in that the old style chrome Cragars were unilugs. These (as you can see) are not. I can look up the part number over the weekend for you Bill...I got them from Jegs a few years ago.

12lives
03-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks Paul - I am looking for wheels for my 67 wagon and was thinking about the S/S wheels. Those might be the ticket! It is interesting that I have a set of Cragars from the 70's, made by Weld, on my GS!

- Bill

JaxWax
04-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Did you make any progress on the spots? Just wondering......:PUZ:

Scott

pwm72
04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi Scott, I have not had a chance to even order the polish recommended yet. I have been busy with other parts on the car first. I have a new carb, intake, electric cut outs, driveshaft loop, etc...to go on the car. I need to get it all done in time for my son to take it to his senior prom though on May 4th, so I have to get to it soon!
I will certainly update this post after I give it a try.

Thanks for following up...I appreciate it.:BEERS:

JaxWax
04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Well be sure to let us & me know - we learn every day from people and it'll be good to share - are you going to the NATS?

- Scott

pwm72
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I won't be going to the GS Nats, but hope to get to the BPG event in August. Will you be there?

JaxWax
04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Sorry aboiut the terminology - Yeppers - we'll be there or be square - we are located in Columbus - just a hop, skip & a jump :BROW:

pwm72
04-12-2007, 06:36 AM
I will be in Columbus on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week on business. :TU:

pwm72
04-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Well Scott (and Stephane), thanks for the suggestions. I was able to find Speedy's all-metal polish at a tractor-trailer supply shop on the internet (US based). Had it in a matter of days. I figured I would try just the polish before resorting to the 0000 steel wool. WOW...it sure worked well. Took a bit of elbow grease but certainly well worth it. It has certainly replaced Mother Mag polish as my polish of choice. Here are a few pics. This first one is the bottle I purchased.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/pwm72/Speedys.jpg

This second shot is the polished wheel.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/pwm72/Speedyswheel1.jpg

and this third shot is a close up of the same area that had the spots in my original pictures.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/pwm72/Speedyswheel2.jpg

Again, Scott, thank you for the advice.:TU:

I am however still unsure if they are actually chrome plated forged alloy or just highly polished forged alloy. Who knows...??

pwm72
04-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Bill, sorry I never answered your question, but the wheels are Cragar style 200 Forged Alloy made by Weld. I found this link to a Summit page doing a quick search. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400100+306790&autoview=sku

Funny, but in the description they just say "show polished"...

12lives
04-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Glad it worked for you Paul - what is the link for the Speedy supplier?

BTW - Summit only shows a 17 in. x 8 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4.5 in for those wheels. Is that what you have? Do you have the supplier's part number for the wheels?

- Bill

69GS400s
04-25-2007, 12:28 PM
They look like polished alu. to me ...

pwm72
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Glad it worked for you Paul - what is the link for the Speedy supplier?

BTW - Summit only shows a 17 in. x 8 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4.5 in for those wheels. Is that what you have? Do you have the supplier's part number for the wheels?

- Bill
Bill, I will have to dig out my shipping docs for the wheels. I bought them from Jegs but could not find them on their website any longer. The Summit link is the only link I could find for them. The wheels I have are 15x7 and 15x8 with 5x4 3/4" bolt circle.

And I got the Speedy's metal polish at www.highwayshine.com. Amazingly fast shipping...I had it within 2 days of ordering it.:TU:

JaxWax
04-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Bill, I will have to dig out my shipping docs for the wheels. I bought them from Jegs but could not find them on their website any longer. The Summit link is the only link I could find for them. The wheels I have are 15x7 and 15x8 with 5x4 3/4" bolt circle.

And I got the Speedy's metal polish at www.highwayshine.com. Amazingly fast shipping...I had it within 2 days of ordering it.:TU:

Sweet! He has bought some Jax Wax for resale from me - his major market is BIG RIGS....they are ALL ABOUT the spit and polish.

12lives
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks Paul

Hey Jax Wax - too many choices - whats the best product to protect chrome? and polished aluminium?

- Bill

JaxWax
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks Paul

Hey Jax Wax - too many choices - whats the best product to protect chrome? and polished aluminium?

- Bill

Bill -

For the *best* all around I wholeheartedly reccomend Purple Metal Polish from California Custom.

Back with our "Keepin it Simple" theme on our product line, we researched a bunch of stuff looking for what would work *good* "all around".

:SMART:

Had done side by side demos many times with other products and it is absolutely the WHIP. Other than polishing, it does give you some protection as well.

If your chrome is in good shape, I'd just use wax. :TU:

Hope that helps......

Scott

cjp69
04-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Great question!

This is how we have done this in the past - which should give you a great finish and be pretty easy to do. :T:

Just 2 steps....

Step 1

Get ahold of some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Wet the surface and LIGHTLY sand the surface until the spots are gone.

Step 2

Now - here is what will make it really easy. Mother's has a powerball that is the whip. It will make the job of polishing really really easy. They also have a mini powerball as well - depends on the size of the nooks and crannies that you are polishing as to which one you want. It is worth every penny.

We don't make a metal polish - companies that make metal polishes ususally stay within that niche. The best one that we have found is from California Custom and is called Purple Metal Polish.

I have demoed Purple Metal Polish against Mothers and others time after time and it is the whip. :TU:

Use the polish with the powerball and your wheels will look better or as good as new.

Hope this helps! Let us all know how this works for you!

- Scott

Scott,

Will this work on the Boyd Smoothie II's as well?

Thanks, Chris

JaxWax
04-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Scott,

Will this work on the Boyd Smoothie II's as well?

Thanks, Chris

Chris -

I looked up the Smoothie II and found the data sheet here:

http://www.buyboydwheels.com/pdfs/boydSmoothieIISpecs.pdf

:SMART:

It looks like they are polished alum - the Purple Polish should work great!:TU:

Are your wheels pitted or just need some polishing?

If I don't reply to you right away this weekend, it's cause I am in Georgia at a show, just happened to catch an Internet connection.

Scott

cjp69
04-28-2007, 02:29 AM
Thanks Scott!

12lives
04-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks Scott!

- Bill