PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 400 cooling line fittings

bumble
11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm replacing the trans cooling lines for my 455 Skylark with a Turbo 400 and I'm having trouble hooking one of the lines to the trans. I may have slightly cross-threaded it during one attempt and damaged the thread on the brass female fitting on the trans that the cooling line screws into. Even though the threads don't look messed up, I've been having a hard time hooking this line up. I can thread it easily into the other brass fitting, so I know the threads on the cooling line are fine. My question is, can I remove that brass fitting from the trans body and just screw in a replacement? I don't know what that fitting hooks into inside the trans. It'd be nice if I could just unscrew the fitting and screw in a new one, but things never seem that easy. Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Mark

Roberta
11-10-2009, 06:52 PM
It just screws into the case. I know cause friends of mine had one leak when they change the trans in the hotel party lot in Bowling Green this year. We ended up at a transmission shop to find them!

68RotBox
04-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Some early transmissions had 3/8" diameter lines, most newer ones have 5/16" lines, the fitting is to take it down in size to the 5/16". It is just an adapter. My 69 Electra had 3/8" from the factory, no fittings at all, just screwed the cooler lines to the case.