Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER 350 PROJECT

got a piece of 2' stock 36" long. a lb an inch. added 21" to the front. hopefully it will keep it down. 9 days to find out.
    "help support commerical viability of bovine aviation"

got a 34 tooth pulley for cecil. it will add about 3% more to the engine. hopefully being at cecil with nice cool weather, this will put the rail into the 8's.....hopefully.
    4 days to go.

See you guys soon. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

I hope so also. john wants to put the rail in the 8's. with the right conditions, I think he can.

It should happen, the high pressure is sending cooler north air to ya. Really nice here.
    Guy Fox BPG 1674
    71 Skylark 355
    13.50 avg. on motor 1.90 60ft. 99 mph
    11.81 on 125 shot Nitrous 1.64 60ft. 114 mph
    Justa Singleplane and a 75 more shot from 10.99...

Nitrous run with 75 shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Jqj...ature=youtu.be

been a month since last post. we didn't go to cecil due to issues here. 5 hrs away was just to far away.

so......... we changed the blower pulley twice looking for more. should have just got the smallest and save myself $200. we went to dover drag reunion at the valley. 90* is just too hot. we made 3 passes and called it a day. we went back to the valley yesterday for 70-75* weather. we ended up the season at 9.24 @ 145. it's ok, but not where we wanted to be. did learned things with using a blower. tire pressure and rpm launches can make things interesting. 8.5lbs of air & 3600rpm vs 9lbs & 4000rpm. the low numbers launch straight with front wheels on the ground while the higher numbers launch straight but 2' wheelies at least 100' out. hardly any difference between et's and mph's. we do need to add more weight to the front end.
    after 12 yrs with the same cam, lifters and springs, we'll be changing to something different. maybe a cam that supposed to be a blower cam. lol.

Blower cam? what's that lol Nice job on the runs looks like a record for you guys. My exhaust sprung a big hole in it and I can't get it fixed now. The Kidney problem cost me a lot in the medical bills so that has me stopped for the year. Going to have to put out 5 grand for that, plus being a month off work did not help any. This getting old crap is bull. lol

Sounds like more weight up front and launching at 4 grand may get a couple more ET's. The alum heads would be nice.
    Guy Fox BPG 1674
    71 Skylark 355
    13.50 avg. on motor 1.90 60ft. 99 mph
    11.81 on 125 shot Nitrous 1.64 60ft. 114 mph
    Justa Singleplane and a 75 more shot from 10.99...

Nitrous run with 75 shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Jqj...ature=youtu.be

hear ya on the bills for this year. hopefully next year is easier.
    new cam is a given. probably a roller. but what size as I am looking at blowers again. looking at the screw type. h/p loss is minimal. but there are issues with them. they have to be certified(like I need another ticket) and parts are a bigger issue than a roots. and the cost is 3 times more for one. could go alky, but being retired, the upkeep on alky would take up too much of my time when I could be doing something else.

will add the weight to the front axle for sure because of wheelies at 4k launches. do need to pull the engine apart this year to see what those 1.888's look like after 3yrs and the kid doing 7k shifts this year. lol. we'll see.

got the rail jacked up high to make my work easier to disassemble. got the engine and trans out and put the engine on the stand as I really wanted to see what the 1.88 rod bearings and crank looked like after the kid has done some 7k shifts with the s/c. (going that high makes me cringe).
    after 3 yrs, the rod bearings looked a little tired. just wouldn't want to test a 4th yrs with them. the crank looked like it was new. smooth with no issues.
    now to take the whole engine down to check everything else.
    also bought some alum slotted rims that look like period correct halibrands for a good price.

fwiw, having a blower, electric w/p and other various additions to this engine makes it a pain in the ass to pull apart.
    finished taking it all apart. with pistons in it, it turns fairly easy. with piston out, the crank turns like butter. gotta love that. check all the bearings and they show just the 3yr wear. all the crank surfaces are nice. also need to replace the cam bearings. front bearing and front main take the abuse from the s/c. new bearings and rings and remember how all the weird things go back on needs to be done plus a valve job. been looking again at the nascar stuff for it. we'll see.

for those know-it-alls who want to stroke the engine; check, check and check the length of bottom end of the connecting rods/bolts. I never noticed how close they are to the both sides of the block and end of the bore casting. if one ever starts going bad, there is going to be a big bang.

http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?thr...opment.327594/

v8 thread about what I have been thru many times regarding the gear wear issue. and now the block face around the cam journal hole. a stock engine has none of these issues. only when we turn up the power and rpm does this happen.

can't use duct tape, bubblegum or jb weld to fix it. may have to resort to these guys. KaleCoAuto.com.

contacted microblue in n.c. about their microblue finish(tungsten disulfide) on engine parts.to do the crank, cam, bearings and dist/cam gears is $500.00. shipping little parts are ok, but the safety of the cam & crank is worrisome.

has anybody heard good or bad stories about this stuff?

https://surrauto.com/
    they make some real neat tools for working on various parts. have no idea on costs.

block is at the machine shop and will pick it tomorrow. on the retirement paycheck, end up buying things one at a time. hopefully we will be all back together again by april.
    we have that parasitic h/p loss due to the valve train and vibes beating things up. thinking back to racing back in the early 70's (when stock engines had plastic timing gears) some racers went back to the plastic gears to try and eliminate vibes which cause drag on the valve train. been thinking about that and wonder if the plastic is any better now than then. also wonder how it would hold up to a roller cam. another point to ponder before final assembly. also need to address the cam/dist wear issue.
    scrounging craigslist found a nice boring machine to make an aluminum block. only problem is was 10k. way out of my budget.

FINALLY !!!!!! just what I need for the dragster. gonna buy a couple of them on next weeks sale.

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specia.../5-money-tree/

don't forget to buy yours.