Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American-made Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by No Lift View Post
    Pat, can your Toyo snowboard down a mountain and fly through the air rolling over? If it can't I'd take it back. The latest commercial takes useless commercials to another level. When I first saw it all I could say was WTF?
    The only thing that would have made that commercial kinda "Kewl" would have been to wrap it up with Shaun White getting out as the the driver at the end
    Alan W

'69 GS400 Convert. "BigRed" 11.93 @ 113+

'68 SportWagon400 - 29,320 ORIGINAL Miles
    Never Give Up

OMG...I hate that commercial with the barrel rolling truck going down the slope. Just stupid in my opinion!
    Renee Moore

Quote Originally Posted by 69GS400s View Post
    The only thing that would have made that commercial kinda "Kewl" would have been to wrap it up with Shaun White getting out as the the driver at the end
    Now you're talkin'

Mike, I believe that's Nissan... Unfortunately for me, my 98 Tacoma that I bought for $18,000 (originally was $26,000) and had 36,000 miles on when I bought it then I owned it for 4 years and put over 115,000 more miles on it,was bought back from me from Toyota for a hefty 150% book value. I received $13,700 bucks for the old boy and all I ever did to it was a new set of tires,which I got to keep,oil changes,tuneups and front brakes. To say that truck paid itself back is an understatement.We have several Ford and Chevy crew cabs at Penn Dot in our county. 1 Ford alone is on it's 4th motor.It just turned 101,000 miles. We have sent numerous trucks back to GM and Ford for big problems. Not like it was in the early 90's Some of those trucks had 3-4 hundred thousand miles with very less maintenance..
    Pat Harmon
    1973 GS 350 4 Spd Burnt Coral
    1970 Skylark 455
    1986 Century GS (ALL 3 OF THEM)
    http://1986buickcenturygransport.freehosting.net/

Quote Originally Posted by d7cook View Post

My GMC Sierra is a made in Mexican made piece of crap. Taillights falling out, steering column rattles, etc. etc. Less than 40K on the odometer. My wifes Sonata was made in Alabama and has 0 issues in 40K. Never been back to the dealer. Personally I'd rather employ American workers over Mexican so my conscience is clean.
    You didn't mention year but my 2007 Sierra RCSB was built in Ft Wayne, bought new 5 years ago, not a SINGLE issue. Runs great, rides great, no rattles, corners like mad, great mileage, good power, hauls my stuff around (engines, trannies, etc) and tows with no issues. I've been very impressed with it. Thing is, if the truck was built in Mexico it would be the same parts, same design, same assembly procedures so how much is actually up to the workers...? Or are the plants set up differently or..??

BTW, buddy with 08 tundra has been kinda choked, he has had a few issues but they did resolve them fast, overall he likes his truck...I bug him all the time and vice versa but of course its all personal opinion.
    1971 GS Stage 1
    1972 GS 350 ragtop (orange crush)
    http://members.shaw.ca/ritc1

Default -

Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    You didn't mention year but my 2007 Sierra RCSB was built in Ft Wayne, bought new 5 years ago, not a SINGLE issue. Runs great, rides great, no rattles, corners like mad, great mileage, good power, hauls my stuff around (engines, trannies, etc) and tows with no issues. I've been very impressed with it. Thing is, if the truck was built in Mexico it would be the same parts, same design, same assembly procedures so how much is actually up to the workers...? Or are the plants set up differently or..??

BTW, buddy with 08 tundra has been kinda choked, he has had a few issues but they did resolve them fast, overall he likes his truck...I bug him all the time and vice versa but of course its all personal opinion.
    I have been impressed with the engine. Small V8, I forget which one, runs smooth, good gas mileage. But like I said both tail lights have fallen out going over bumps in the road amongst other problems. For most part I agree with you, most problems with modern cars are engineering problems not assembly. If your parking brake handle breaks off in your hand then chances are just about every one will. However comparing your truck to mine does make it seem like assembly does still matter.
    Doug
    1968 Buick Special Deluxe that is neither special or deluxe,
    10.60@127 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quanuqlKza4
    1972 GS 350, 1967 Coronet 500.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by No Lift View Post
    Pat, can your Toyo snowboard down a mountain and fly through the air rolling over? If it can't I'd take it back. The latest commercial takes useless commercials to another level. When I first saw it all I could say was WTF? There is absolutely nothing in it that means anything to someone buying one. The one on the sanddune at least had a 1 in 100000 chance of happening but the latest one on the slopes takes it. Who would base buying a vehicle on animated action sequences? I guess people are easy to impress these days. I'm not saying truck is good or bad just the commercial is goofy.

Even if it took more than one truck they still did the sequence. Great truck, great movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghXatUGIi9g

Even Bond did it for real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzCIb...eature=related
    I watched that movie. Love that scene! Look at how the truck wheels bounced.