Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rained out?

Default Rained out?

Come on guys....couldn't some attempt be made to run the race on Saturday afternoon and evening? Rain stopped by 3pm and the sun came out with clear forecast from then on and it stays light till 8 or so. We racers make the effort to drag our cars out there but the towel was thown in at 9am? Sunday is forecast to be 78 deg and sunny. I realize that maybe we couldn't be fit it for Sunday but it would have been nice....

I've now towed 25 hours this year with half of it in the rain with my open trailer for 2 Ohio races that rained out. It's gettin old and so am I.....

Bruce

Bruce, it was my understanding that it was the tracks call to cancel any racing on Sat.
    as they said they wouldn't be able to dry the drenched track and rain was forecast again for the afternoon.

As we are not in control as to what the weather forecast is at any time I suggest you take your complaint up with "MOTHER NATURE" !!!
    MOON'
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    * 72 GS Stage1 Numbers matching Survivor
    * 2 - 87 "GRAND NATIONALS" Most Optioned (SOLD) and GrandNasty
    * 1969 Electra 225 Custom--"RED on RED CONVERTIBLE"--Numbers matching California Survivor
    * 1970 Electra 225 Custom--AquaMist--Numbers matching Survivor--(SOLD) !!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

--------The Deuce Before Biggest Red---------

Someone else told me it was sunny and breezy by 1pm. Oh well, I guess the issue was seepage. Most tracks don't leak like NTR and can be dried and raced on I've gone skating on the top end there before....not fun.

At least I got 13 hours test towing on my new tow set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The right lane at NTR would weep during a drought.

Bruce, Love the new towing setup.
    Alan

Our Toys
    1986 Somerset drag car tube chassis 525 BBB
    1979 Nova soon to be BBB 4-speed Drag Radial street rod
    1972 GMC 396, auto
    1966 Skylark 340 4bbl daily driver. Soon to be BBB EFI daily driver.

Why didn't they have the car show Saturday afternoon and finish the race on Sunday?

The track isn't cheap and we are a non-profit club. There's no way we could have pulled enough show cars in to cover the cost of the track on Saturday and I don't believe Sunday was an option for racing.

Speaking as the Race Director and a racer, there's nothing we want more than to race. When you are working on an event like this, you have to take the emotion out of it and make a decision that's best for all in the long term. I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision to make and glad I wasn't involved in it!

Most people have no idea just how much work, how much of our free time, and how our hearts and souls go into putting this event together year after year. We try to make the right decisions that will benefit the club as a whole and yet, there's always someone who "would have" done it differently. Personally, like most people, I wasn't happy with the decision to cancel the Saturday program, but I also know, it wasn't an easy decision for Sean to make either and I'm positive he had the clubs best interest at heart.
    Renee Moore

Renee I was told the track pulled the plug on it because even if the rain stopped the track has tendencies to weep water and not safe for the faster cars. And I thought that the track had a busy schedule for today I thought a ET Jegs series make up date or something like that. They had a recording on their phone about the race being canceled due to rain.

The track IS notorious for water seeping. A couple years ago we had to have a track guy stand in the "score board" area to make sure it stayed dry and to clean up any dampness.

It's been a very wet Ohio summer so far and safety always comes first.
    Renee Moore

It was not a decision that was made easily...I got to the Track at 7am on Saturday and even though it was only drizzling in Newark and Heath it was raining at the track...it would stop...drizlle a little and stop...at one point they sent the tractor down the track when it did stop for a few mins to check the "known" weeping spots...and it was a steady weep...The Track manager then went down to inspect himself and saw the problem first hand...then it poured like crazy for about 10 mins...We sat at his computer and looked at various Radars and weather forecasts and consensus was Rain would stop around 11am. It would take them about 3hours to clean the track if it only continued to drizzle but there was still a 50% chance of Rain of T-storms right up until about 3pm. If we decided to proceed with the program and hope it would stop raining the BPG would have to pay for that days track rental even if it continued to Rain. I did consult with other Directors and Members and consensus was to call event early rather than later. It was also arranged with the Host Hotel that they would refund the guests for their Saturday night stay. BPG also refunded any spectator and race tickets to those that asked...most said they would hold on to them for next year. We even signed up new members that day. A meeting was held with the BOD's and we are coming up with a new plan of action for 2014. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience. Trust me I did think about all that had traveled a great distance and spent money to attend...
    Sean Ryder

1987 Buick GN 11.55 @123 sold

1967 Buick Special Deluxe sold

1967 Buick Skylark 455 TH400 3:42 Rear...the "Taxi"

BCA# 45996

Thanks to all for the hard work that gose into making an event like this even possible.
    As much as I hate towing the distance and being rained out. I want to say thanks for making the correct decision and calling the race event early. Nothing worse then when someone can't make the call until the day is shot. Thank you, that made it possible for "Wildcat Wagner" and myself time to travel back and stop at Pittsburg Raceway and take out a couple of locals in the street and modified class. Another track taken off the "Bucket List"
    Had a great time! Hotel was a great choice as well.
    Thanks

Sean & BPG staff & volunteers, what a great job everyone did. Nancy & I had a great time even though we had no car to race. The block party was great and a must do for next year. As stated earlier we can't control the weather and an early call to cancel was a great move. As the Northeast GS/GN Club has been in the same spot many times in the last decade running the Cecil event, I can feel for Sean & the BPG but the right call was made to cancel. Do the math people! It is very expensive to put an event on like this and trust me if you break even you had a good weekend. This event needs some more income like another car club like MANDRA or NETO to come in to off set the cost. Just a thought.

Sean and the BPG staff and volunteers, Thank you for a wonderful time,the hard work that you do year round,the wonderful evenings at the hotel and most of all our safety at the track. No one wants to make the decision you had to make,but there's no sense in anyone getting hurt and to pay for something that isn't going to be used either. I hope we can do more as members and start showing up to this event so it sticks around for a long time to come. For those of use that have been coming since the beginning....keep up the good work and for the others I hope you are or willing to start coming to a very classy and smooth running event. You wont be disappointed.

Although I am not a racer right now, I did drive my 65 Gran Sport some 1265 miles EACH WAY getting about 13 mpg. That is similar to what many get while towing. I fully support the decisions made early Saturday, as nobody wants to see a 9 second, 150 mph car lose it at the big end due to moisture seepage. I had a great time partying, re-establishing friendships, and making new friends. Of note, this was the first year I ran out of beer!!

Just for comparisons sake, I left my house Monday, July 29 at 1500 hours, arriving in Newark Wednesday at 1730 hours. I departed Sunday morning at 1015 hours, and just got home tonight at 1722 hours. That's more time traveling than at the event. You will never see or hear me pissing and moaning about it, EVER!
    Tom Balaz
    This space for rent
    BPG #1771

Quote Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
    Although I am not a racer right now, I did drive my 65 Gran Sport some 1265 miles EACH WAY getting about 13 mpg. That is similar to what many get while towing. I fully support the decisions made early Saturday, as nobody wants to see a 9 second, 150 mph car lose it at the big end due to moisture seepage. I had a great time partying, re-establishing friendships, and making new friends. Of note, this was the first year I ran out of beer!!

Just for comparisons sake, I left my house Monday, July 29 at 1500 hours, arriving in Newark Wednesday at 1730 hours. I departed Sunday morning at 1015 hours, and just got home tonight at 1722 hours. That's more time traveling than at the event. You will never see or hear me pissing and moaning about it, EVER!
    You're a class act Tom!

It was good to see you again, and even better to see you smiling because you drove your beautiful GS to Ohio. That is one beautiful car, and I hope you get many, many more years of driving enjoyment out of it. These cars are not museum pieces and are well engineered. They are meant to be driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You're a class act Tom!

It was good to see you again, and even better to see you smiling because you drove your beautiful GS to Ohio. That is one beautiful car, and I hope you get many, many more years of driving enjoyment out of it. These cars are not museum pieces and are well engineered. They are meant to be driven.
    Marco, seeing you drive and enjoy your beautiful Stage 1 convert sets the standard for the way these cars are intended to be used.

That goes for anyone else who drove their cars out, no matter how near or far they came from.

I am not singling out those who trailered their cars, just adding to Marco's post.
    Tom Balaz
    This space for rent
    BPG #1771