hey I had to trailer Elise...had all the BPG stuff in the truck...lol
    Sean Ryder

1987 Buick GN 11.55 @123 sold

1967 Buick Special Deluxe sold

1967 Buick Skylark 455 TH400 3:42 Rear...the "Taxi"

BCA# 45996

Quote Originally Posted by gbsean View Post
    hey I had to trailer Elise...had all the BPG stuff in the truck...lol
    And with what you had to bring, that was understandable.

I better not overlook those who flew in either. No matter how you got there, your support was most welcome.
    Tom Balaz
    This space for rent
    BPG #1771

Here we go again....... Cancelling the event is not something we casually decided to do. Don't forget, the BOD has hundreds of hours invested in this event, and the last thing we wanted to do was cancel it. The track would continue to "weep" all day, rendering it impossible to race on it, for safety reasons. That being said... several people were overheard talking badly about the club for their decision this weekend, so here is a little "real world schooling" about what it takes to put on an event like this... It costs EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS to rent the track for a day. NOT INCLUDING MANDATORY INSURANCE! The BPG is a 100% volunteer organization with no financial backing beyond what we can get in dues and gate attendance and tee shirt sales. There is no justifiable reason to drop 8 grand to hold a car show. PERIOD! Especially seeing as how many people had already left first thing in the morning when they saw the weather forecast. So, if anyone has an idea as to how it could have been done, why not join the board of directors and let us know? We'd like to hear all ideas about future events. For all the friends that came out this weekend, thank you! And for the really friendly souls that hung around the rest of the day/night on Saturday... WE ALL HAD FUN! We don't attend just because there is an event at a track. The reason we attend is to see all our friends and to make new ones. Event or not, we still had a blast! We ended up doing all day Saturday exactly what we would have done had there still been an event: drinking and laughing with new and old Buick friends. The actual racing is a side-bar when you really think about it. And if all you came to do is race, that's fine too, but you are missing the real reason the BPG exists in the first place.
    Freakin' Yardley
    1969 Riviera GS clone
    Stage1 462
    12.76@106MPH!!!

Editor - BPG Build Sheet

2008 BPG Nationals BCO Race Champion!

http://www.1badriv.com

jeff@the-comp-doc.com

Poon ain't worth it.

I had a great time and the only people left at the track was you guys and gals. I don't have 1 complaint about your choices. You cant control the weather. And had everybody's safety at heart. Tough decision but the right one in my eye and I didn't even get a chance to make 1 pass.

I had a good time hanging out and working on people's cars but yes I did come to race and the way I see it, it was a track issue. The weather cleared out and any normal track could have made it happen. Big deal if we started later, it was Saturday in the summer, we could have hung out late and raced under the lights if we had to. You should have seen what Cecil did to get a race in last weekend.

How many years has the seeping been an issue at NTR? Seems like in this day and age it would be something they could fix.

(BTW the persons (non-racers) that sent personal attacks (emails) to me, you know what you can do)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. How many times have we all sat in the rain at an event and were charged admission on top of it? At least our tickets are good for next year.

One question. Was any thought given to 1/8 mile? I hate 1/8 mile but it does mean that only half the track needs dried and the program runs quicker. I'd rather run 1/8 mile than not run at all but I also remember last time we had a seepage problem the other racers didn't want to do 1/8 mile.
    Doug
    1968 Buick Special Deluxe that is neither special or deluxe,
    10.60@127 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quanuqlKza4
    1972 GS 350, 1967 Coronet 500.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was thinking the same but maybe braking traction would be an issue. I remember one year they had guys with towels running out and wiping the crack after each pair went down. No wonder it's no longer a national event track.

The weather may have slowed us down a bit this year, but I will be at the BPG Nats next year even if rain is forecast. This event has always been an event to not be missed since I first attended in 2004 in Salem.

To the BOD and ALL of the VOLUNTEERS, thanks for all that you do, it is very much appreciated.

See you all next year!! :)
    Paul Beal
    beal_paul@yahoo.ca
    BPG Member # 1670

Bruce, you're an educated, smart guy. So let me ask you, what part of "the track rental costs EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS and we do not have EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS to spend for the few people who would show up" don't you understand? Read this slowly so maybe you will understand it: We rely on the take at the gate to pay for the track rental. If we had begun the event at 1PM, who would have showed? We would have to pay the track $8,000 and we would have only had probably $3,000 in gate. MANY racers and show people were heading out of town at 7AM when they saw the weather report. Where would you suggest we get the other $5,000 we would owe the track? Would you be willing to write them a check?

We canceled the event for TWO reasons: 1) safety... the track wouldn't be fit to race on, and 2) economics... we would not have had the money to pay for the rental at the end of the day. Would you expect us to just pack up and sneak away while the track is expecting us to visit the tower and pay them, dine and dash style?

It isn't rocket science. And if you think it is so cut-and-dried, they why don't you volunteer to help run the fu**ing event and maybe you would see that the decesions we make are in the best interest of this club, designed to allow us to continue to hold events in the future.
    Freakin' Yardley
    1969 Riviera GS clone
    Stage1 462
    12.76@106MPH!!!

Editor - BPG Build Sheet

2008 BPG Nationals BCO Race Champion!

http://www.1badriv.com

jeff@the-comp-doc.com

Poon ain't worth it.

Damn Yards.....up at 2am to skewer me? Have another beer.....

I think next year we should give out a "WINNING WHINERS TROPHY" !!!

*from past event WHINING, I think we have a front runner here.

Sorry guys.....I couldn't resist !
    MOON'
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    * 72 GS Stage1 Numbers matching Survivor
    * 2 - 87 "GRAND NATIONALS" Most Optioned (SOLD) and GrandNasty
    * 1969 Electra 225 Custom--"RED on RED CONVERTIBLE"--Numbers matching California Survivor
    * 1970 Electra 225 Custom--AquaMist--Numbers matching Survivor--(SOLD) !!!

--------The Deuce Before Biggest Red---------

Quote Originally Posted by d7cook View Post
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. How many times have we all sat in the rain at an event and were charged admission on top of it? At least our tickets are good for next year.

One question. Was any thought given to 1/8 mile? I hate 1/8 mile but it does mean that only half the track needs dried and the program runs quicker. I'd rather run 1/8 mile than not run at all but I also remember last time we had a seepage problem the other racers didn't want to do 1/8 mile.
    The insurance is cheaper also for 1/8 mile rental.
    Alan

Our Toys
    1986 Somerset drag car tube chassis 525 BBB
    1979 Nova soon to be BBB 4-speed Drag Radial street rod
    1972 GMC 396, auto
    1966 Skylark 340 4bbl daily driver. Soon to be BBB EFI daily driver.

Some of these cars will run well over 100mph in the eighth. I'd hate like hell to see them try and stop with slicks after running through the seeping water, let alone an injury lawsuit if that should occur.

I'm quite sure if we raced on a dangerous track we'd be hearing more complaints for making that call.

We try our best.....but you can't please every one !!!
    Last edited by tufbuick; 08-08-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    MOON'
    * 72 GS Stage1 Numbers matching Survivor
    * 2 - 87 "GRAND NATIONALS" Most Optioned (SOLD) and GrandNasty
    * 1969 Electra 225 Custom--"RED on RED CONVERTIBLE"--Numbers matching California Survivor
    * 1970 Electra 225 Custom--AquaMist--Numbers matching Survivor--(SOLD) !!!

--------The Deuce Before Biggest Red---------

Quote Originally Posted by tufbuick View Post
    Some of these cars will run well over 100mph in the eighth. I'd hate like hell to see them try and stop with slicks after running through the seeping water, let alone an injury lawsuit if that should occur.

I'm quite sure if we raced on a dangerous track we'd be hearing more complains for making that call.

But.....last time we had the seepage problem a couple years ago we were running across it under power because it seeps just before the finish line. No complaints because the racers did not want to do 1/8 mile. At that time NTR made the call that it could make a safe track but it did keep seeping. I forgot about the guy with a towel in between pairs going out and soaking up water. This year it sounds like NTR made the call that they could not make a safe track and per Yardley too many people had already packed it up so it is what it is.

I'm not second guessing anything, I just threw threw the 1/8 mile idea out there as something to possibly consider if a situation like this arises again.
    Doug
    1968 Buick Special Deluxe that is neither special or deluxe,
    10.60@127 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quanuqlKza4
    1972 GS 350, 1967 Coronet 500.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

....or buy more towels.

Norwalk had a similar issue and they went to great lengths (complete redo) to stop the embarrassing leakage. NTR apparently can't afford to. Maybe if they sell enough $4 water and $4.50 hot dogs they will.....