Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BPG and Norwalk

Default BPG and Norwalk

The Buick Performance Group will not be taking over Buick Race Day at Summit Motor Sports Complex. From what I was told the track owners do not want to hold a Buick Event in 2016. I would like to thank Bill Wills and Roberta Vasilow for trying to make this happen in 2016. As I am still acting chairman until someone steps up I will tell you were have been in contact with various tracks in Ohio to put on another event in 2016. With Buick Race Day and Midwest Buick Challenge over it really only leaves 2 major Buick Events left...the GSCA Event and NE GS/GN Club event. The BPG is not going away and we are trying to get another event together in the Midwest... We will be contacting parties involved in the now defunct events to see if we can do a combined event to make everyone happy.. I will keep you all posted...
    Sean Ryder

1987 Buick GN 11.55 @123 sold

1967 Buick Special Deluxe sold

1967 Buick Skylark 455 TH400 3:42 Rear...the "Taxi"

BCA# 45996

would it be possible to take over the gsca
    word is it will end in a couple of years

scott
    scott phillips
    nashville tn.
    1970 wildcat 455-4
    personal best of 13.008 at 103.90
    BPG 1990

Quote Originally Posted by gbsean View Post
    The Buick Performance Group will not be taking over Buick Race Day at Summit Motor Sports Complex. From what I was told the track owners do not want to hold a Buick Event in 2016. I would like to thank Bill Wills and Roberta Vasilow for trying to make this happen in 2016. As I am still acting chairman until someone steps up I will tell you were have been in contact with various tracks in Ohio to put on another event in 2016. With Buick Race Day and Midwest Buick Challenge over it really only leaves 2 major Buick Events left...the GSCA Event and NE GS/GN Club event. The BPG is not going away and we are trying to get another event together in the Midwest... We will be contacting parties involved in the now defunct events to see if we can do a combined event to make everyone happy.. I will keep you all posted...
    Dick Miller Racing and the Oldsmobile Nationals at Norwalk have invited our cousins (Buicks) to join us at Norwalk again this year for the 19th Annual former Oldsmobile Nationals which is now titled The Olds/Buick Nationals. Please watch my website dickmillerracing.com for details as they are posted. To contact me either 662-233-2301 or tech@dickmillerracing.com. For this year the Car Show and Race will both be at Norwalk on Sunday July 24, 2016. Thanks, look forward to seeing you there. Dick

Mr. Miller, I very much appreciate your invite and will see about attending! Olds' have always been a close number 2 on my list (sorry, this is a Buick site afterall. Haha), so that wouldnt be such a bad thing.

I do personally hope this doesnt act necessarily as a replacement for a BPG event, but an additional opportunity to attend a cool gathering of folks with similar interests.

I also want to thank Dick Miller Racing and the Olds Nationals for the invite to join their event.

I also want to post my disappointment in the management of Summit motorsports park for the disregard they have for the Buick event.

Tim
    BPG # 2052
    The one and only Wyoming member
    1971 Buick Sportwagon 350/4

Quote Originally Posted by LostGS View Post
    I also want to thank Dick Miller Racing and the Olds Nationals for the invite to join their event.

I also want to post my disappointment in the management of Summit motorsports park for the disregard they have for the Buick event.

Tim
    The past car count doesn't warrant a Buick only event. Neither does the Olds group. Bill Wills and Roberta Vasilow have devoted 25 years to make the event bigger and better as I have for 18 years with the Olds event which also doesn't have the car count to warrant an Olds only event. I at least am doing this as a business. Not so for Bill and Roberta. They lost money out of their pocket. I also have been losing money out of the business which sounds better than out of my pocket. But money lost by DMR is my money also.

Don't hold it against the Norwalk staff that the Buick event has ended. It is the Buick car attendance that ended the event. But at least their dedicated staff now has 1 Sunday off during the summer. How many of you would work weekend after weekend for all the entire summer months while having a week day job also?

Now with the addition of the Buick's, the Olds/ Buick cars have the opportunity to continue an event at the finest race track in the country. I have raced at most all of the Super Race Tracks in the US and Norwalk is by far the finest not only in the facility but also the personal. I could have moved the Olds race to a less costly track many years ago but couldn't do it to the Olds racers.

I am not trying to replace the Buick race or the BPG event. However I welcome all Buick and BPG racers to this the 19th Annual BOC event at Norwalk on July 24, 2016. I would like the BPG to consider making this event their annual event. If anyone from the BPG organization would like to discuss this further please call me.

Thanks, Dick

there were 3 rainouts between last year and this year. plus it is done early in the year which makes it tough. People watch weather reports and just don't go. Plus I think the gas prices over the last few years has stopped a lot of guys from going to events, especially if you are a street car. the audience was never very big but there was always a lot of cars there. I think 2008 crash put a lot of people out and are just now recovering, I am one of those people and I was ready to go this year and the rain stopped me. I only live 2 hours away and I see no sense in going there if it is going to rain. It will be fun to race with the olds guys
    Guy Fox BPG 1674
    71 Skylark 355
    13.50 avg. on motor 1.90 60ft. 99 mph
    11.81 on 125 shot Nitrous 1.64 60ft. 114 mph
    Justa Singleplane and a 75 more shot from 10.99...

Nitrous run with 75 shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Jqj...ature=youtu.be

What have we done to our Marque? The AMC guys run a National event that varies from track to track around the country. They also have an "All AMC"day and not to mention a "national"Canadian race day. That was just from a quick check on their forum. Who knows how many local events these guys have. I refuse to be outdone by a Rambler. C'mon guys what's the deal?

I agree with Gary Fox the weather is a big deterrent. When your rain date gets rained out you tend to lose interest. Norwalk is a beautiful facility but it will rain in Northern Ohio. It always does.

Jerry
    Resident of Northern Ohio

2015 BPG Attendee
    2015 Cecil County Attendee
    2015 GSCA Nationals Attendee

Quote Originally Posted by Fox's Den View Post
    there were 3 rainouts between last year and this year. plus it is done early in the year which makes it tough. People watch weather reports and just don't go. Plus I think the gas prices over the last few years has stopped a lot of guys from going to events, especially if you are a street car. the audience was never very big but there was always a lot of cars there. I think 2008 crash put a lot of people out and are just now recovering, I am one of those people and I was ready to go this year and the rain stopped me. I only live 2 hours away and I see no sense in going there if it is going to rain. It will be fun to race with the olds guys
    That's the attitude that lost the event. It may rain somewhere in Northern OH but much less likely in July. Of the 18 prior years only one was rained out. We have had rain close by but not at the track. We have had rain at the track with a delay then dried the track with their jet dryer using something like 60 gal diesel fuel an hour. I have owned many Olds in my life. My dad had a 72 Buick GS convertible. I've worked on them all. Never once was one of them made of sugar that would melt in the rain. In 2 hours of drive time I would estimate you are no more than 120 miles away. 240 miles round trip. At only 10 miles per gallon that's 24 gallons. An increase of $1.00 per gallon equals $24.00. I will do whatever I can to see that the race is completed but I know I am not God. If it is rained out before eliminations begin you will definitely get a rain check for the following year and all your out is that 24 gallons of gas. Hasn't the Cincinnati event also been rained out the last couple of years. The Olds event will go on as long as possible. There was a move this last year to bring to BPG event to Norwalk. I am offering the BPG that possibility in 2016 by being part of the Olds and Cadillac event. What needs to happen for the Buick event to continue at Norwalk is a serious commitment by you the racers and show cars to be there. If you're serious about having your event at the premier track in the US then support it by showing up. If not this chance will disappear also. Thanks to the rest of you for you're kind words and support.

I wish the event was two days.
    Alan

Our Toys
    1986 Somerset drag car tube chassis 525 BBB
    1979 Nova soon to be BBB 4-speed Drag Radial street rod
    1972 GMC 396, auto
    1966 Skylark 340 4bbl daily driver. Soon to be BBB EFI daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ss4825 View Post
    I wish the event was two days.
    Show me some cars and I'll consider it.

I saw this in the rules "Any Olds/Buick body with any engine". Is a mopar powered Buick allowed in?
    Doug
    1968 Buick Special Deluxe that is neither special or deluxe,
    10.60@127 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quanuqlKza4
    1972 GS 350, 1967 Coronet 500.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The BPG had over 100 Cars at the Show at Arby's that paid to enter plus others that just wanted to show and not be judged. As I had told you in the last e-mail. "Unfortunately the BPG is a non-profit club and our CPA has advised us that we cannot provide any funding such as payouts or sponsorship. As we could lose our tax status." If we could hold our own car show off site we can maintain our status and still draw Race Cars to the event. The Test and tune on Friday was well attended. Most of our Attendees are from NE and East Coast so to attend a one day event is for most of us out of the question. I am not the current Chairman anymore and you would need to reach out to Ken Lisk or Denny Moore who's contact information is posted on our home page.
    Sean Ryder

1987 Buick GN 11.55 @123 sold

1967 Buick Special Deluxe sold

1967 Buick Skylark 455 TH400 3:42 Rear...the "Taxi"

BCA# 45996

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Miller View Post
    Dick Miller Racing and the Oldsmobile Nationals at Norwalk have invited our cousins (Buicks) to join us at Norwalk again this year for the 19th Annual former Oldsmobile Nationals which is now titled The Olds/Buick Nationals. Please watch my website dickmillerracing.com for details as they are posted. To contact me either 662-233-2301 or tech@dickmillerracing.com. For this year the Car Show and Race will both be at Norwalk on Sunday July 24, 2016. Thanks, look forward to seeing you there. Dick 10/07/15
    Couldn't be worse timing for any show cars...BCA's 50th anniversary is July 27th-30th, 2016. I would guess that most if not all the show cars will be in Allentown, PA those dates for the big blowout. I will be.
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

Quote Originally Posted by d7cook View Post
    I saw this in the rules "Any Olds/Buick body with any engine". Is a mopar powered Buick allowed in?
    Don't know why but yes. It is still a Buick.