Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BPG and Norwalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Conley View Post
    Couldn't be worse timing for any show cars...BCA's 50th anniversary is July 27th-30th, 2016. I would guess that most if not all the show cars will be in Allentown, PA those dates for the big blowout. I will be.
    This event is July 24th. Leaves 3 days to go one state away. Approximately 450 miles. If you're west of OH you were probably heading out Monday anyway. Leave Norwalk on Sunday or Monday instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gbsean View Post
    The BPG had over 100 Cars at the Show at Arby's that paid to enter plus others that just wanted to show and not be judged. As I had told you in the last e-mail. "Unfortunately the BPG is a non-profit club and our CPA has advised us that we cannot provide any funding such as payouts or sponsorship. As we could lose our tax status." If we could hold our own car show off site we can maintain our status and still draw Race Cars to the event. The Test and tune on Friday was well attended. Most of our Attendees are from NE and East Coast so to attend a one day event is for most of us out of the question. I am not the current Chairman anymore and you would need to reach out to Ken Lisk or Denny Moore who's contact information is posted on our home page.
    Thanks for your input. I never ask for any money from BPG!!!!!!!

I am asking for club support and car count. I am not going to contact anyone at BPG. The offer is here and has been repeated several times. If BPG doesn't want to be involved or supportive that is their choice. The event will go on anyway. For your info we have been discussing this for several weeks and no one has called me yet. The contracts are in place and this is the way it is. Show me cars and I will consider more days next year but it will be on the grounds at the track.

I did not call because I needed items in writing...Things get lost in translation in phone calls and when I was still Chairman I did contact you thru e-mail. When I ran an event I contacted people for support and did not expect them to reach out to me. As I am not in charge anymore you need to reach out to the Directors for support. If members want to go that is their choice. I wish your event well but will be in Allentown as it is a 650 mile one way trip to Norwalk for me.
    Sean Ryder

1987 Buick GN 11.55 @123 sold

1967 Buick Special Deluxe sold

1967 Buick Skylark 455 TH400 3:42 Rear...the "Taxi"

BCA# 45996

I'm sorry if you thought that was directed towards you. You had already explained that you were no longer in office. I am talking about the present officers. The event will happen no matter who shows up or who doesn't. I am hoping the BPG appreciates the offer and will help promote the event and give the members a chance to participate as a group. The Olds crowd is really looking forward to "beating up on some Buicks". Again, I am not asking for financial support. Lets all work together and have an event that will not go away. As far as the show cars, the track has a great grassy area on the opposite side of the track. Show me a 100+ Buick show cars and I'll arrange a cookout at the track. Good luck in Allentown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Conley View Post
    Couldn't be worse timing for any show cars...BCA's 50th anniversary is July 27th-30th, 2016. I would guess that most if not all the show cars will be in Allentown, PA those dates for the big blowout. I will be.
    I agree it's to bad. If I had my choice I'd move it. But the Buick's are invited to an already established event with the Oldsmobile's. This event will always be the same weekend. Give me someone at the National level and I will discuss it with them for future years.

I live in south eastern Ohio. I will be attending both shows. Norwalk is 3 hours (150 miles) from my door and Allentown is 350 miles away. My hat is off to you for inviting the Buick crowd. Most of the local Buick guys will probably attend even if it is only a one day event. Buick events are getting fewer and fewer a anything to support our efforts is appreciated. Thanks. John Schmidt
    John Schmidt
    BPG #1003

1910 Model 10, 1960 Vanden Plas Princess, 63 Studebaker Avanti, 71 Opel GT (7.54@185), 71 GS Stage1 Conv., 74 Gremlin X w/GN motor, 77 Kenne Bell Skyhawk, 86 GN, The Riviera (7.10@185), 98 HD Ultra Classic, 98 Park Avenue, 2012 LaCrosse AWD, The Frito Lay truck (455), 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi, 2012 McLaren MC4-12C.

Mr. Miller,
    While I do appreciate your efforts, zero communication has occurred over the past year until your announcement on our board. The BPG (Buick Performance Group) had an established event at National Trails in Columbus for many years. It was, to a degree, successful and we enjoyed earnings that allowed our non-profit club to return those earnings to their members. Mr. Wills and Ms. Vasilow contacted the BPG over a year ago in order to have the Buick Norwalk event continue. We, of course, were interested in doing so. We even paid a visit to Norwalk last October (2014) to meet with the Baders and their staff to discuss the BPG's future involvement along with Mr. Wills. All seemed well and we agreed to run the car show at the Arby's this year (2015) and were quite successful in doing so I might add. The first sign of any "issue" was the total lack of communication from Norwalk after the Buick event, not that there was much before either. I know Sean tried multiple times to establish contact with the track as did other members of the Board of Directors, all to no avail. KEEP IN MIND WE GAVE UP OUR VENUE AND DATES AT NATIONAL TRAILS BELIEVING WE WOULD BE TAKING OVER THE NORWALK EVENT. You I am sure are aware of the difficulty of obtaining dates for a meet at a major facility such as Norwalk or National Trails. Once you're out, you're out for good and we lost our slot under the belief we would be taking over Norwalk.

As far as an "established event", the BCA (Buick Club of America) is celebrating their 50th anniversary in 2016, so I think they are a little more "established" as even by your own admission than the Olds event. Also, keep in mind the BCA is in no way connected with the BPG. Two completely separate entities, so while there is no real connection, most of our members are also members of the BCA. BCA also has a "Modified" show class that will fit many of the cars and is one that people should take advantage of if they have a car that is different than stock original. An "arse" for every seat, so to speak. It should be up to you to work around other major event's times when you are only putting on a one day affair. Believe me, the BPG was HIGHLY interested in keeping our event away from other Buick events and we actively solicited input from those other promoters to keep from "stepping on each others toes". Also a one day only event will NOT gain much favor in the Buick world as most of our event is more social in nature and the evenings are to die for. You have eliminated that aspect of our events with a one-day only deal. Most people will leave for home shortly after they are done racing.

So to sum up, you can imagine the Directors surprise when you made your announcement. We had been "end-arounded" by Norwalk and, not to throw stones, you yourself. You can rightly assume that we were a little PO'd. Not a PM, phone call (all of the BOD's numbers are published on this site), not a call from the track, NOTHING. So to ask for our support of your for-profit event (even though you may not make any profit, the assumption is there), well, it's asking a bit much don't you think? I mean, what if the shoe was on the other foot, how would you feel? A little put out, I bet. You can rightly assume we are too.

I do agree that a combined event, whether a combined Buick only event or a Buick-Olds-??? event, is necessary for everyones survival. The days of a single marque or only one type (show only, race only, etc) are over. Multiple clubs can not survive on their own anymore and there must be a combining of efforts for the survival of any and all.
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

It sounded like things didn't work out the way you wanted. For that I am sorry for the BPG members. It was not my doing. You are coming across like it was my fault. I had nothing to do with your event being canceled. After I heard it was canceled I simply offered to allow the Buick's to attend our already established Olds event. I am very disappointed at your attitude for what ever the reason. I have spent to much time already trying to convince the BPG membership to come and be part of my event. I am done. If they come great. If they don't fine. Attitudes like yours are probably part of the reason you didn't get the Norwalk event which by the way was never promised to you or me by Norwalk ownership who despite your desires have the right to do as they please. I am just in a position to offer a chance for Buick's to continue racing at Norwalk. If they don't show up in numbers the Buick portion of the event will be canceled. I don't owe you anything and I don't or need anything from you or the BPG to survive. Get over yourself and your issues and stand up for the BPG members to have another event to go to. As I said if the Buick's show up I will consider making it a larger event. If not bye bye. I will not be wasting any more of my time on this site. All I have done is tried to help the BPG and for that I get this kind of crap.

We The BPG were told That We the BPG would continue the event...I have all the e-mails from Bader and Wills...which is why I do not like phone calls. here is e-mail from Bader

Hello Sean,

I’m a little confused, for 2015, I have an agreement in place with Bill Wills and Roberta Vasilow to produce a Buick event. I understood that after 2015, we would discuss and negotiate a new facility lease agreement between our two organizations.

Bill

There was no communication after the event...
    Sean Ryder

BCA# 45996

Hi Sean,

My name is Bill Bader and I’m the owner of Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk ,Ohio. Your name was given to me from Bill Wills.

I understand your interested in the potential of producing a Buick Event in 2016 and would like to arrange a site visit. Do you have any possible dates in mind?

I look forward to meeting you!

Bill
    Sean Ryder

BCA# 45996

Good Afternoon Sean,

I understand you called on Friday and left a message with Kurt Johnson our Track Manager. To clarify, I will be the one to handle all pricing for your event.

I think a face-to-face meeting is in order before we move to pricing.

Bill
    Sean Ryder

BCA# 45996

Mr. Miller,

See, you just made my point for me. No communication. From anyone. Never said is was your doing. Your reading way too much into my post. Norwalk failed to communicate and then when you had the opportunity to speak with us, you just made a post taking over the event (remember, nobody had told us we were NOT having an event at that time). No communication again. Imagine the calls each and every one of the BOD received questioning what was going on. Now double that number. And we didn't even have any answers and were left scrambling .

I DO wish your event much success. I really do. You must understand, as a businessman, that a non-profit 501C4 tax except corporation cannot contribute anything to the event, not even an endorsement to attend. This is business econ 101 level stuff. We would be crucified by the IRS if we did so. Our CPA advised us to RUN away as quickly as possible. I cannot, with good conscious, tell the members of the BPG to attend as that could be construed as an endorsement and we (BPG) would have our tax exempt status questioned. Make no mistake about it, the IRS is REALLY looking into every 501C4 corporation and scrutinizes our tax return with zero mercy. Now, do I personally care if they go? No, its fine with me personally. I would like to attend but I can take only so much time off work and this year, BCA has my priority. If there had been communication, we could have told you/Norwalk that the time chosen in July would conflict with a huge Buick event and that there would be reduced attendance from the Buick side. No one asked. No one communicated. Maybe now you can sense our frustration. Hell, I didn't even know who you were before you posted. However from your last post directed to me, I have a much better understanding of who and what you are now.

Good luck with all of your future endeavors and I sincerely mean that.
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

I have a lot more e-mails saying how we would take over the event...and maybe these should have been published earlier... We were never given any financial information about the event. What it would cost the BPG...At National Trail we knew everything. We the BPG did most of the promotion for the 2015 Event.. How can you commit to hosting a National Event without knowing the cost's... I do feel the BPG was invited to the 2015 event to generate revenue to all parties involved and that the track knew they would not continue a Buick Event. It is a business and profit keeps you viable. This thread has turned into something else...if anyone wants to contact me you know my information...This stuff is one of the reasons I stepped down as chairman.
    Sean Ryder

BCA# 45996

So the real issue is that you let one event go without having in writing that it would happen anywhere else. Bad decision. Especally bad business decision for a business man. Negotiate, potential, or face to face, has nothing to do with a done deal. Now you want to take a thread that was going smoothly and turn it into your own personal bitch session. Boohoo. If this is the way you responded with Bill Bader I can see why he decided to turminate the Buick event. Still, this has nothing to do with me. Why are you trying to ruin this thread. None of this applies to the fact that I have an Olds event at Norwalk and have invited the Buick's to join us after their event was announced as canceled. I did that. Not Norwalk. You yourself announced that the event was cancelled 3 days before I posted anything about the invitation. I never said I was taking over the Buick event. I just invited them to join the Olds event.

Hey D head I went to every event there for 20 years. In 2007 it was going to rain there and I sat right there and did not leave. it rained like mad on my way home BOTH front and rear windows started leaking and almost ruined my roof liner inside my car. Plus on the way home the drag radials I had were very weak and I could feel the car sliding around while I was driving. So don't give me this crap that MY attitude kept this race from happening. There were plenty of cars there when I was going. Yeah 2008 hurt a lot of people and I don't have a money tree in my backyard. That gas was 3.00 per gallon then and race gas is 7.00 per gallon so I do not know where you get your numbers at but that equates to about 80.00 in gas just to get there and back and that does not include the pay in and food.

In 2008 I went there and damn near broke the rear with the nitrous I shut it off and went on to get 3 place in my class. After that I lost my job and had one heck of a time trying to get back. I spent the next three years going to school. There was no money in my pocket to get my windows fixed and I could not even afford to go. I am just now starting to get it together and my plan was to be there this year and it WAS TOTALLY cancelled both times. So what do you want me to do go in the driving rain just to be turned away at the gate. Take that ATTITUDE. D...

Most of the time that race was the 1st week of May when it rains. They don't run the Chevy and Ford event then do they Heck No.

Seems to me Norwalk wanted to end it just like everyone does with Buicks Go to Summit and tell me what they sell for a 350 Buick, not much. Buicks are always on the bottom when it comes to support. Norwalk has no trouble running the high school crapp. How about canceling some of those other shows.

So right now I have an attitude and now you prove to me your going to make it happen and I will be there. I want to kick some Olds butts

From what I just read with the rest it seems to me the one with the attitude is you and you have a show in the middle of summer which the Buicks never had. Now you want us to commit to you or be put out. Looks tike the BPG got put out by canceling in Columbus to join the others at Norwalk.

and the Buicks will put you guys on the trailer. yeah I got attitude.
    Guy Fox BPG 1674
    71 Skylark 355
    13.50 avg. on motor 1.90 60ft. 99 mph
    11.81 on 125 shot Nitrous 1.64 60ft. 114 mph
    Justa Singleplane and a 75 more shot from 10.99...

Nitrous run with 75 shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Jqj...ature=youtu.be