Thread: P0171

Default P0171

'95 Riviera periodically/intermittently throws a P0171 Code. Sometimes several hundred miles without throwing it; sometimes 2 times in 10 miles. Have checked for vacuum leaks & bad electrical/ground connections to no avail. Sometimes accompanied by a P1257 code (this code only happens when car is not entirely warmed up, within the 1st 5 minutes of driving). Any ideas? Thanks.

P1257 is boost control solenoid problem. Causes car to run rich which could be related to P0171 . Which code comes first if you clear it?

If both, usually P1257. But, P0171 comes by itself about half the time. P0171 signals a lean condition, not rich.

You may have to use a smoke machine to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. A lazy oxygen sensor or a MAF sensor could also give you lean code. Oxygen sensor is cheap so if it is original that is any easy way to go. Get a good quality sensor though. Do you have access to scan data when the problem occurs?

Problem is intermittent, so cannot see scanner at right time. I've used starting fluid, no vacuum leaks identified. Replaced both MAF Sensor & Oxygen Sensor several months ago due to codes thrown; now no codes for those.

I have seen many problems with MAF sensors

Unplugged the MAF today; erratic high idle & MAF code returns. Plugged it back in, no MAF code (after reset) & runs good.

Could the PROM be bad? I have a PROM from a non-supercharged car available. Would changing that out be a good test, or would that really screw things up?

I don't think the prom is the problem. You have to see the data from a scan tool to diagnois any further at this point