Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 BPG Nationals Car Show Judging Rules

Default 2009 BPG Nationals Car Show Judging Rules

Here are the Car Show rules that will be followed at the 2009 BPG Nationals.

The 100 Point rules are for the Driven/Street Classes, and the 400 Point rules are for the Concours Classes.
    Enjoy.
    Duane

Nice job Duane. We can see a lot of work went into those docs.
    David

YouTube Videos

Instigator Hotline: How can I make things Worse?

Dave,
    Thanks, these are basically a repeat of the 2008 rules with the following exceptions;

For the Concours Classes
    We re-defined the parameters for selecting judges, to eliminate any possible perceived cases of "conflict of interests".

For the Driven/Street Classes we added "Skylarks" to the various 65-72 GS classes. We always welcomed them openly, but it was brought to my attention that it was not spelled out, so they were added.
    Duane

Here are the rules in .pdf format.

OK to post per Duane
    Need a reproduction window sticker for your Buick?
    Now available, 1968-1972 GS Production Guides & GS Posters
    Check out my web site here;Window Stickers & Production Guides

'68 GS400 Convertible
    BPG Member #1047

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Heckman View Post
    Here are the Car Show rules that will be followed at the 2009 BPG Nationals.

The 100 Point rules are for the Driven/Street Classes, and the 400 Point rules are for the Concours Classes.
    Enjoy.
    Duane
    Couple questions, on categories where it says "points" should be deducted but does not directly state how many ?

And undercoating is not longer a deduction ?
    Thanks
    DL

DL,
    The first thing I need to ask is which Classes are you asking about, the Driven/Street Classes or the Concours Classes? Once we get that clarified I can give you an answer.
    Duane

PS. Where does it state undercoating is no longer a deduction, or are you asking about it, I'm confused.

DL,
    The first thing I need to ask is which Classes are you asking about, the Driven/Street Classes or the Concours Classes? Once we get that clarified I can give you an answer.
    Duane

PS. Where does it state undercoating is no longer a deduction, or are you asking about it, I'm confused.
    Concours manual E FRAME : "no deductions should be made for appropriate type undercoating applied frame, floor pans and sheet metal in a workman like fashion on the cars of proper era. Check for poor workmanship hidden by undercoating"
    I thought it was a deduction so trying to understand this portion.
    Thanks
    DL

DL,
    The "undercoating" that is being discussed here is the factory applied material known as body schutz. On certain models it was applied to areas of the underbelly and frame to deal with sound transfer. On your particular car it would be found in both the front and rear wheel wells, and from the rear wheel wells to the back of the car.

The variety of "undercoating" you are thinking about would have been installed at the dealership level and is a completely different material. If this type of "undercoating" is present on a Concours Car it would be a deduction, and would probably kill any chance of winning anything.

The reason it would "kill" the car is because it would be everywhere, ie it would be on multiple parts, and would get point deductions in each area.

The best way of describing how Concours cars are judged is to think of how they looked as the left the factory door. Anything that was done after that would rate a points deduction.

The only two exceptions to this would be for the installation of factory recall items (such as the engine-upper control arm loop on the nailhead equipped cars), and the installation of front spoilers for the GSX's. Even though the front spoilers were installed at the dealership level, the factory intended the cars to have them, therefore they would be considered as "factory" equipment.

As far as.......... "where it says "points" should be deducted but does not directly state how many ?" Here the number of points available is determined by the "importance" of each specific area. The numbers are listed on the judging sheets and are too numerous to list here.

The thing that owners should worry about are the mandatory deductions. Here the points are deducted "all or nothing". If you get a few of these it "kills" the car quickly.
    Duane

Mark Reeves
    1970 MOTION GSX
    1971 Stage 1 Convt. 4 spd. (Documented)
    1971 Cortez Gold GSX (Documented)
    and others
    Then & Now Automotive
    www.thenandnowauto.com

Quote Originally Posted by stage-x View Post

Thanks for the clarification. Mark want to scrape some undercoating off for me ? So Duane does not "kill" my car ....

DL

No Problem ....
    Mark Reeves
    1970 MOTION GSX
    1971 Stage 1 Convt. 4 spd. (Documented)
    1971 Cortez Gold GSX (Documented)
    and others
    Then & Now Automotive
    www.thenandnowauto.com

Guys/Gals,
    I wanted to mention the most important thing of all, and that is if you are putting your car in any of the car show classes

you must have a fire extinguisher

If you don't have a "fully" charged fire extinguisher it doesn't matter how many points your car might have because it will not be judged, so please be sure to bring one.
    Duane

The best way of describing how Concours cars are judged is to think of how they looked as the left the factory door. Anything that was done after that would rate a points deduction...
    For clarification, what about passenger side mirrors? Weren't these dealer add-ons?

Just curious, as I'm definitely not entering concours.

Marco,
    I cannot swear that passenger side chrome mirrors were "only" a dealer option for every year. They have been allowed in the past (as long as they are year correct) and I imagine they will also be allowed in the future.
    Duane

Guys/Gals,
    I wanted to mention the most important thing of all, and that is if you are putting your car in any of the car show classes

you must have a fire extinguisher

If you don't have a "fully" charged fire extinguisher it doesn't matter how many points your car might have because it will not be judged, so please be sure to bring one.
    Duane

If anyone forgets one I have a couple in my van. Just come on over and get one.
    David

YouTube Videos

Instigator Hotline: How can I make things Worse?